Design Program Manager:
About the Role
Are you passionate about design? Do you excel at working through the daily challenges of managing the creative process? Do you like the business and strategy aspects of design but wish those aspects could be part of the design and creative industry? Do you thrive in a fast-paced, multi-project, multi-client environment? Whipsaw is in a search of a well-rounded, design-oriented Project Manager to support and guide our teams of designers and engineers to provide the highest quality consulting service for our clients.
Our team has a depth and breadth of expertise unmatched among the top tier global design consultancies. If you love the challenge of high impact consulting and want to help grow a wildly successful business from here to THERE, then you should think about joining our team.
As a Design Program Manager, you would be responsible for:
• Program Management for Industrial Design, User Experience Design, and Mechanical Engineering projects
• Provide program support for Business Development during Proposal Creation Process
• Initiate Program Set-up
o Provide team with Program objectives: PRD, timeline, deliverables, budget
o Participate in initial brainstorming
o Create program schedule
• Ongoing Program Management
o Work with Design Lead to plan/track next steps
o Plan and lead meetings, take notes, assign/track action items
o Track progress against Contract and Statement of Work
o Leadership in problem-solving and risk management
o Manage project budget, billing, project schedule and deliverables
o Drive client relationship and communication so clients feel engaged, listened to, and excited about the process
o Provide updates to Senior Leadership
• Post Project Program Management
o Stay in touch with clients and help business development team re-engage with past clients through continued relationship management
Some things we consider critical:
• A minimum of 5+ years in a Product Design environment (hardware or software design, but ideally some familiarity with both)
• A background in Industrial Design, User Experience Design, or related field and deep familiarity with product development
• Experience with managing multiple customer-facing projects simultaneously covering a combination of business, strategy, design, technology, and delivery
• Ability to balance business objectives and superior quality of service
• A positive, problem-solving outlook and great attention to detail and follow-through
• Proven leadership to manage program objectives at all levels of the project, internally and externally
• This position will work primarily out of our San Francisco Studio and you must have current documentation to be able to work in the United States.
Whipsaw is an Industrial Design, User Experience, and Engineering consulting firm located in San Francisco and San Jose, California. We are known for creating smart, unique and intuitive solutions that profoundly connect with end users on both a rational and emotional level. Since our founding in 1999, over 900 Whipsaw-designed products have shipped to market and many became major hits. Our clients range from startups to international corporations including Brita, Cisco, Ford, GE, Google, Haier, Intel, Leitz, Merck, Motorola, Nike, Olympus, Samsung, Sony and Uber. Whipsaw has won over 285 design awards and our products are featured in the Smithsonian Institution Cooper Hewitt Design Museum, The Henry Ford Museum and the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design.