Fractal is a physical product development firm looking to expand our team in Nashville Tennessee working on an exciting range of consumer electronics, lifestyle products, and medical devices.
You are compulsive about learning new things, even if you’re not sure when you will use the knowledge. You pride yourself on being a good question-asker which allows you to refine vague instructions until you have a clear direction. You are comfortable with using power tools, but you’re careful enough to not make all of us uncomfortable with you using them. You keep up with Industrial Design trends and practice your craft in spare time. To you, making things and solving problems is the most fun you could have at work, and that’s why you are reading this now.
In this role, you will
• Do real work on products that are meant to go into production.
• Make clients happy by understanding them, solving their problems, and keeping them engaged.
• Assist with running and maintaining 3D printers
• Sketch design concepts
• Scrap together many quick mock-ups from all kinds of materials, especially 3D-printed ones.
• Design and assemble high-quality prototypes.
• Build CAD models using Onshape.
• Work closely with the Fractal team.
• Provide excellent documentation for your designs from initial research to calculations to finished specifications for manufacturing.
• Junior, Senior or recent grad with or pursuing a BA or MA in Industrial Design.
• Sketching and CAD skills are a must
• Must work on-site
• Must be available 20 hours/week or more during normal business hours (40 hours preferred)
Compensation, benefits, perks
Maker Reimbursement: We want to employ people that freaking love to make stuff, so we’ll reimburse up to $50/month of any personal project spending. Put it toward building a new headboard for your bed, or buying a really nice hot-glue gun, or getting an Arduino kit and figuring out how to automate your herb garden. Whatever.
Access to 3D printers for personal use: If the printers aren’t needed for a project, have at ‘em. If it’s something small, it probably ok to just print it. If it’s something big or a mini production run, we may ask that you bring your own material.
Stocked fridge and snacks: We’ll stay stocked up on healthy snacks, carbonated water, and beer. There’s also a free Bongo Java coffee and a big selection of loose leaf tea.
Company events: We take a day off work a few times a year to have fun, hang out, and get to know each other. You're part of the Fractal Team.
Join Nashville’s best product dev consultancy: You’ll get to learn new skills working alongside a great team on a wide variety of products, from medical devices that save lives to consumer products that light up a Kickstarter campaign.