At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
The D-Ford Team is responsible for the end-to-end experience, including digital and physical design of new businesses, new products, and new services. We are looking for creative individuals to join us and help further the vision and mission of D-Ford’s team. We are committed to envisioning and crafting simple, thoughtful, enjoyable, and compelling products and services for customers!
The position requires demonstrable expertise in physical product solutions with strong visual design work, design sensibility, and articulate storytelling.
You’ll be responsible for concepting and sketching, designing low to high fidelity design prototypes, leading workshops, and managing asset production through the life cycle of assigned projects, pilots, and research initiatives.
As an Industrial Designer you will...
- Know and love your discipline as a passionate Subject Matter Expert demonstrating expertise in the relevant fundamentals and tools while using them in modern ways and maintaining a desire to learn from others and grow.
- Be curious, courageous, creative, and capable by asking questions, experimenting, and sharing ideas to solve problems and create designs that address real customer needs.
- Participate throughout the entire design process from inspiration and research to building prototypes and communicating a vision - bringing to life integrated digital-physical experiences through brand, products, and services.
- Work with a project team to conceive, design, develop, test, and launch impactful new products and services, applying systems thinking to experience design that seamlessly engages people.
- Identify design opportunities and actionable concepts that align with user and business needs, design principles, and technical capabilities.
- Bring clarity and focus through effective communication of functional needs and aesthetic sensibilities while representing our team in an advanced product development environment and building relationships and with engineering, planning, and research stakeholders.
- Apply systems thinking to physical experience design that seamlessly engages people through touchpoints along a service journey for consumer and business applications.
- Collaborate on designing, making, and testing new solutions through experiments and prototypes at varying levels of fidelity–from sketches, renderings, CAD models and animations to functional prototypes and build-ready assets.
Please include a copy of your portfolio.
The minimum requirements we seek:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, Transportation Design or related field
- 5+ years of professional design experience in a consumer product industry, transportation sector or supplier, design consultancy, or similar field
- 5+ years of proficiency with at least one 3D modeling software application (Alias AutoStudio, Rhino, or Blender)
Our preferred requirements:
- Exceptional creativity and demonstrated inventiveness towards features and functional solutions
- Exceptional ability to translate customer and research inputs into relevant, highly desirable, and feasible product solutions
- Exceptional product design aesthetic sensibilities
- Exceptional sketching, visualization, modelling, and presentation skills
- Exceptional 2D application skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- Exceptional 3D application skills (Alias AutoStudio, VRED, Rhino, Maya or Blender)
- 5+ years of Industrial Design or Transportation Design studio work experience
- Demonstrated ability to build low fidelity prototypes (e.g. hands-on with cardboard, foam core, wood, laser cutting, 3D printing) and understanding of production methods and prototyping processes.
- Demonstrated ability to translate design vision in animated story-form through creative use of digital presentation applications
- Demonstrated ability to develop design proposals from concept to production
- Experience building inclusive and accessible design solutions
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite design tools
What you’ll receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you’ll enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation, and much more. You’ll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we’d love to have you join us.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
By choice, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
Ford Motor Company 2022 New Hire Benefits Summary GSR