TITLE: Industrial Designer (Mid-Level)
LOCATION: Boulder, CO
REPORTS TO: Design Director
START DATE: January 2021
Matador (www.MatadorUp.com) is a fast paced, profitable startup focused on designing and manufacturing premium objective-based travel equipment. Since our founding in 2014, we have launched over 40 products with retail and distribution partners globally. The pace of our product development pipeline and retail expansion is increasing as we head into 2021 and we are building up our best in class team to support this growth. Matador is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado which affords us the ideal playground to design and test our products.
Matador is looking for a highly motivated, self-directed Industrial Designer with 1-5 years experience who is excited about joining a tight-knit team of talented, hard-working individuals in our Boulder, CO headquarters. The Industrial Designer will play both leading and supporting roles in developing new products from initial concept to finished product. Strong technical proficiency, a good understanding of manufacturing constraints, and a collaborative mindset are requirements for this role. Candidates should have interest and experience with hard goods and soft goods product design, as this role combines both.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
Design and Market Research
• Trend analysis – analyzing future product design trends including materials, textures, stylization, and colors
• Competitor analysis – analyzing the landscape of competitive brands/products
• Opportunity research – Identifying unmet needs and product opportunities in the travel/outdoor space
• Work collaboratively with engineering to ensure proper function of all product designs
• Maintain product development schedules as outlined by our project managers
• Effectively implement feedback from multiple departments and management to create the best products possible
• Group brainstorming
• Support as needed of other departments, including sales, marketing, and graphic’s teams
• Iterative concept development
• Proof-of-concept prototyping
• Assist with defining features and specifications
Product Design and Development
• Responsible for design and development of both hard goods and soft goods products
• Must be able to effectively design according to the Matador’s visual brand language
• Create final aesthetic design of products while ensuring optimal functionality
• Extensive use of Solidworks
• Extensive use of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator
• CMF specification
• Extensive communication with manufacturers including but not limited to initial product specification data, sample feedback documents, CMF docs, etc.
• Interdepartmental communication and experience or willingness to learn Asana (our internal communication and project management platform)
• Bachelors degree in Industrial Design or similar
• Strong proficiency in Solidworks
• Strong proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, especially illustrator
• Strong sketching skills are preferred but the ability to visually communicate ideas quickly is required
• Extensive understanding of manufacturing processes and limitations
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of materials
• Experience in both hard and soft goods design is preferred but not required
• 1-5 years of professional experience is preferred but not required to apply
• Applicants must submit a portfolio of work to be considered
We are offering a competitive salary, unlimited discretionary paid time off, healthcare, free snacks/Kombucha on tap, and a fun and challenging atmosphere. The responsibilities and duties listed above are intended to communicate general priorities of this position but should not be understood as an exhaustive list of all work requirements. Start-ups require flexibility! We are committed to training, developing, and promoting from within the company based on performance. Work is performed at our headquarters in Boulder, CO and remote positions will not be considered.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Industrial Designer” along with your name in the subject line. We are not accepting candidates via recruiters. All applications will be reviewed; however, we may not be able to reply to every applicant.
Matador is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.