Goodwin Hartshorn is a London-based industrial design consultancy founded in 2002. We design a broad range of innovative products, always underpinned by solid engineering: from medical devices, audio equipment and sanitaryware, to consumer electronics, kitchen utensils and domestic appliances. We have a research-led and experimental approach to new product development focussed on real users and real problems. We work with a broad range of clients and at every level of development we aim to use prototyping to assess new forms, test new mechanisms and challenge assumptions.
Ultimately, our goal is to develop elegant solutions to complex problems. To do this, we need amazing people. We are looking for a talented industrial designer to join our team in London. Under the supervision of the founders, your work will cover a broad range of disciplines: idea generation, design strategy, physical prototyping, CAD modelling, renderings, CMF development, production support. Our team is small and we have a close-knit working relationship. Lunch, for us, is an important part of the day; it’s a time when we can also discuss and explore ideas unrelated to design.
- We work in an airy and spacious open-plan studio in Deptford.
- We run a lunch rota; we cook for each other and share meals.
- You will have close contact with clients, manufacturers and modelmakers along with various interesting freelancers that we collaborate with.
- We are a small and close-knit team where everyone’s ideas are valid and considered.
- We offer the opportunity to develop via internal collaboration and with externally-run training courses.
Bachelor’s degree or preferably higher in industrial design or a related field. Please also provide A-level (or equivalent international qualifications) grades.
- At least eight years of experience after your degree in innovative product development including demonstrable experience of design for manufacture.
- Strong aesthetic sensitivity to form and surface development.
- Exceptional ability at SolidWorks including surface modelling. A working knowledge (or better) of Rhino/Grasshopper would be beneficial.
- High-level ability at visualisation/rendering in Keyshot.
- Clear understanding of general engineering principles and manufacturing techniques with experience of innovative idea generation/development.
- Demonstrable understanding of material selection, industrial processes and assembly.
- Fluent in English (both written and spoken); you’ll need to explain and articulate your ideas clearly within the team.
Please send us the following:
- CV: amongst other things, this must include your employment and educational background along with contact details of two referees (at least one former employer).
- Portfolio: please describe at least three projects you’re particularly proud of and tell us why. Please outline your role in the projects, how large the team was etc. Show us how brilliant you are!
- Skills: within the above, please provide examples of idea development through drawing and modelmaking. Do you have amazing renders to share?
- Cover letter: why do you think you’re particularly suitable to work with us? Please outline your salary expectations.
- Filenames: please send your CV and portfolio as pdf files with the following naming convention: Lastname_Firstname_CV.pdf and Lastname_Firstname_Portfolio.pdf
- Contact: please email submissions to [email protected]
Please note: this is a full-time position based in Deptford, London. Having worked through Covid lockdowns we now have a more flexible approach to remote working – probably one or two days a week can be worked from home. All applications must be authorised to work in the UK.