Chilly’s are on the look-out for a high performing, visionary Product Design Lead to define our future product launches and lead the journey from concept to production.
Founded in 2010, Chilly’s are driven by their aim of providing people with the ability to always have cold water on-the-go, without having to buy single-use plastic water bottles. The result was the Chilly’s bottle, a modern and stylish product designed to combine the convenience of a plastic water bottle with the eco-friendly benefits of a traditional flask.
In pursuit of our mission to accelerate the adoption and everyday use of reusable products we have now expanded the range to include a wider selection of reusable products with many more exciting products in development! Our products are created for an active urban lifestyle, with the perfect balance of distinctive style and unrivalled performance.
Chilly’s are at an exciting stage of change and growth, and are looking for an Product Design Lead with an impressive product background to be the champion for all things product and design within the business. This role is about designing the categories and opportunities that allow Chilly’s to continue its growth into new areas and markets.
What you’ll be working on:
- Build the engine to take concepts and opportunities from briefs through to successful consumer launches.
- Inspire, motivate and lead to get the best out of our world-class design partners, agencies and manufacturers.
- Become the product champion for design and product development within Chilly’s. Be the go-to for all things relating to our products, for both our existing lines and those in near development. Be the interface between internal teams and support their activities with accurate and up-to-date information.
- Own the performance of our product portfolio and actively monitor our lines to explore where design could be used to boost existing sales or create new opportunities for the brand. Work to ensure all new launches and existing lines hit the required margin, and have this in mind when delivering any new products.
- Work with the senior leadership team to define an ambitious but deliverable product roadmap to take the business forward.
- Working in collaboration with the Supply Chain team, develop Chilly’s existing base of suppliers to meet the changing needs of the business and future projects
- Ensure projects run within agreed tooling and product budgets and that additional spends are controlled and signed-off by the business. Hold manufacturers to account against agreed pricing and ensure accurate and up-to-date costs can be shared easily to other stakeholders in the business.
- Track timelines and ensure products enter and exit manufacturing on time and in line with wider project planning. Ensure the business is updated on all changes against delivery plans.
- Oversee critical points in the manufacturing process to ensure suppliers deliver on time and on-quality. This may involve overseeing start of production or checking product prior to shipping, in both the UK and far east.
- Work in collaboration with our Supply Chain team to actively vet both future suppliers and current factories to assess suitability and fit across key measurables (technical competence, scale, social and worker welfare and environmental impact), and ensure our partners share our values and standards
- Be the budget owner for our design activities, working to ensure spend is kept in line with expectations and that the business is seeing real return on investment.
- 3-5 years experience in design and product management; specifically in writing briefs and having these executed by others, with further overall experience (6-8 years + overall) in working ideally in both in-house and agency roles
- A good working knowledge of a leading 3D CAD package (Creo, Solidworks, Fusion 360) to help interrogate, capture and share our design intent to both manufacture and retail.
- Formal background in Industrial or Product Design, (preferably with a strong technical element- Loughborough, Brunel University, RCA IDE course etc.)
- A strong understanding of general engineering principles and how these shape and define the design development process.
- A comprehensive understanding and experience of the manufacturing processes used across common consumer products and homewares; injection & compression moulding, metal fabrication and stamping, die-casting & painting processes.
- An excellent sense of form and surface with a refined eye for the details; both in design and production.
- Exceptional eye for colour, materials and finishes (CMF), and understanding how these work in the real world in line with the product use cases (durability, fade, wear & safety).
- A hands-on, direct approach to prototyping- and not just the rapid type. Experience in foam modelling and a good working knowledge of general workshop processes that support the product development process. You will need to be comfortable and confident in testing and evaluating production samples and prototypes throughout the development cycle.
- DIligence, organisation and pragmatism.
- A forensic understanding of how things are made, and an obsessive eye for the details that make great products. Experience in homewares and associated manufacturing processes (hydroforming, spinning injection moulding etc.) is helpful, but the ability to quickly get to grips with new processes and methods is even more important.
- A world-class eye for design, and a portfolio that demonstrates not only your design work but the process and thinking behind it. We love to see award-winning design, but also want to hear about the impact your work has had on the businesses behind it too.
- Excited by the opportunities that come with growth, and grounded by the Chilly’s mission
Nice to haves:
- A working knowledge of the testing and safety regulations around food contact products, and other durability and wear tests (temperature, corrosion, RoHS/REACH, dishwashing etc.) that often factor in the design of products.
- Experience of leading and mentoring teams
- Experience in estimating, managing and controlling development budgets in a start-up or manufacturing space.
- Experience and and understanding of the supply chain and processes involved in the printing and construction of retail packaging, and the environmental considerations involved (material separations, recycling, ink types)
The type of person we’d like to work with:
At Chilly’s, we’re united by a set of values that guide our unique way of working.They are:
Lead the Change
To lead the change we must never settle. It means being brave enough to set standards and, as leaders, ambitious enough to exceed them.
Less but Better
We work deliberately and decisively, focusing on what we believe in and being brave enough to say no to the things we don’t.
We care as much about each other’s contribution as we do our own, so we support one another to grow, and we turn to one another to learn.
This is a unique opportunity to join a top 10 Sunday Times Fast Track listed company in a critical leadership role.