Position Title: Senior Industrial Designer
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Reports To: Senior Manager, Industrial Design
Summary: This person will conceptualize and develop new products that improve the lives of our customers. In this role you will be involved in all aspects of Industrial Design. Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams to create customer experiences for the next generation of products.
• Conceptualize and develop new products having a higher than average level of difficulty and complexity
• Conversion of broader consumer insights into innovative design solutions across a multitude of media
• Execution of research methodologies that require direct contact with consumers through participation of qualitative research including home visits, ethnographies and focus groups
• Work closely with Engineering to develop product specifications and validate prototypes.
• Accountable for the successful design implementation of a major product from concept to completion
• Perform other duties as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
• Five years + of relevant experience in corporate or consulting design
• Ability to travel at least once per quarter
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
• Ability to present in English.
• Design Fundamentals: (Fully Operational) Strong capability in drawing, rendering, form development, color and materials theory, mechanical engineering and model building.
• Visual Communications: (Fully Operational) Demonstrates ability to explain and persuade business partners on the appropriateness of a design solution via effective visual communications technique.
• Study Models (Working Knowledge) Working understanding of all basic shop tools. Additive and subtractive. Working knowledge of materials and properties to achieve desired results.
• Feasibility Engineering (Working Knowledge) Understands the importance of identifying engineering constraints early in the design development phases.
• Digital Design Tools (Working Knowledge) Capable of developing CAID models and a working knowledge of Creo. Full Adobe Creative Suite understanding.
• Materials and Methods: (Working Knowledge) Knowledge of tooling constraints and associated design limitations.
• Solid Modeling: (Working Knowledge) Basic experience building various levels of concept models from paper and foam to hi-resurface models. Must be comfortable in all rapid 3D mediums.
• Surface Development ((Working Knowledge) Capable designing basic surface in CAD and/or CAID. A school level understanding of NURBS. Can describe complex surface characteristics.
• Interface Design (Working Knowledge) Capable designing concepts in Adobe Illustrator with the ability to assess various interface designs for increased effectiveness from a usability perspective.
• Industrial Design Research: (Working Knowledge) Professional experience conducting observational research within the context of design concept development projects.
• Human Factors (Working Knowledge). Ability to use study models to appropriately design to scale and usability constraints.
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play.
By submitting your CV you acknowledge having read Newell Brands’ Privacy Statement for Job Applicants available at http://privacy.newellbrands.com/job_en.html . If you wish to be considered also for other suitable positions with the company, please explicitly indicate so on your CV/motivation letter.