At Artefact, we believe industrial design cannot exist in a vacuum. Each connected device – from your couch to your fitness bracelet, the hospital room to your wallet – demands we think about connected experiences. The shape and form of our design impacts the object’s meaning as much as the underlying software architecture and the services that can be built on top of it. In a sense, industrial design becomes the ultimate platform on which to build tangible experiences that connect the physical and digital worlds.
As a Lead Industrial Designer you will work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment with researchers, developers, and designers, facilitating thinking within the context of design in the 21st Century. Lead Designers at Artefact are hands-on with both project deliverables and client relationships, and set an example for team members with their dedication to maintaining the highest level of output quality.
If you believe in a broad definition of design, one that incorporates both the physical and digital landscapes, exhibit versatility in your portfolio, blending ID with UX, are interested in how products behave and fit into a larger ecosystem, and can help guide our clients and creatives to an elevated solution, then we should connect.
• Own, or collaborate on, project creative direction and execution, utilizing life experiences, clients, end-users and colleagues for input
• Define and communicate ongoing project expectations with teams
• Lead by example and show an exceptional eye for detail, issues and craft
• Conceive and build or direct exceptional models, mechanisms, frameworks, storyboards, sketches and prototypes as needed to best serve project needs
• Collaborate closely with other studio practice leads, including Research, Interaction, Visual and Industrial Design and Software Engineering
• Manage client relationships either independently or in partnership with a design director
• 7 or more years experience in a consulting or in-house environment, working primarily on technology products
• Undergraduate or graduate level degree in Industrial Design
• A compelling portfolio representing breadth and depth of work
• Demonstrated ability to articulate and defend an informed point of view
• Track record of translating program objectives into innovative design solutions
• Fluent in 2D and 3D software design tools
• Excellent communication and storytelling skills
Artefact is a design and innovation firm that uses strategy, human-centered design and technology to advance meaningful change. For our clients. For people. For society.