INDEED Innovation is looking for a Circular Packaging Designer (all genders welcome) based in Hamburg.
We welcome creative and strategic minds who want to be part of our journey to build circular innovation that goes beyond human-focused values and achieves planet-centric interventions.
As a Circular Packaging Designer at Indeed, you will be focusing on designing structural packaging solutions and services, that are driven by circular strategy, regulations and design principles. You will be a part of our interdisciplinary teams of designers, engineers, and strategists who aim to realize sustainable circularity by delivering innovation.
Who you are
• You are passionate about sustainability and circular economy and are keen to bring real solutions to the FMCG industry
• You have excellent 3D-packaging design knowledge and craftsmanship and are passionate about integrating sustainable circularity into packaging development
• You demonstrate in-depth knowledge in design research and can investigate barriers and opportunities at the policy level and consumer behavior, throughout the entire life cycle of a packaging and/or services
• You are knowledgeable about circular design methods and strategic approaches for packaging circularity by considering reuse, repair, refurbish, remanufacture, and recycle
• You are a systems thinker who sees the big picture and the long-term impacts beyond a single packaging or service, as well as all of its components and interdependencies between them
• You understand the complex layers of system drivers (technological, economic, social, and environmental) that influence the packaging and/or services to imagine possible circular design interventions
• You are a proficient learner interested in all aspects of circular design and willing to discover the evolving design methods and tools
• You understand inclusive design practices and are willing to consider a range of human diversity and different perspectives
• You are an excellent communicator and open-minded for cross-functional collaboration and problem-solving
What you’ll do
• Design compelling sustainable, circular 3D-packagings and services for the FMCG industry in all kinds of business fields from F&B, health care, medical and others.
• Research material flows, stakeholders’ needs, user journeys, and business environments of packaging ecosystems including the filling and logistic processes
• Investigate and evolve circular design tools and methods that help design for recovery and recycling, extend use cycles, etc.
• Assess the environmental, economic, and social impact of packaging’s and services throughout the product’s full life cycle
• Identify new circular innovation opportunities where a business can bring relevant packaging and service developments
• Bring fresh ideas to support the creative design process and strategic decision-making
• Support in the innovation workshops and design sprints that embed circularity know-how and thinking into the client’s multi-disciplinary team and the entire culture
• Collaborate with Indeed’s Shanghai and New York teams on projects
• Work with clients’ teams who are leading sustainability in their respective industries
Experience and Qualifications
• Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design with a focus on 3D Packaging Design
• 2+ years of experience as a packaging designer or packaging design field with a solid knowledge of design process and 3D-packaging development
• Good knowledge in designing plastic packaging of all kinds from hard plastic to foil packaging, cardboard, glass, metal, aluminum and others
• An understanding of the restrictions in the logistics chain, from the requirements at the filling line to pallet utilization, transport and the situation at the POS.
• Another advantage is a very distinct understanding of brands, in order to be able to respond to the very different design needs of our customers
• Good foundational knowledge of the circular economy and circular design principles
• Good knowledge of Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Recycling
• Strong visual ideation and sketching skills, both physically and digitally (e.g., SketchBook, Procreate)
• Savvy with all relevant design tools, such as SolidWorks/Rhino, KeyShot, and Adobe CC (specifically PS, AI, ID)
• Passionate about hands-on prototyping from physical cardboard and wire mock-ups to functional 3D printed prototypes
• Ability to create compelling narratives to engage clients and other stakeholders
• Ability to work in multidisciplinary and multicultural design teams and be flexible
• Knowledge about eco-design principles such as biomimicry and cradle-to-cradle is a plus
• Industry/client project experience with Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is a plus
• Proficiency in English (German would be a plus)
• A valid EU work permit is mandatory
What to expect in our Hamburg Office
• An inspiring work environment located in the heart of Hamburg, one of Germany’s most lovable cities
• International and warm-hearted colleagues paired with an open project team structure and more team spirit than hierarchies
• High-end IT equipment of your choice, free German courses, individual training budget, and unlimited books
• Company sponsored pension scheme and a company bike
• Obligatory barista coffee, fresh fruit, and yoga classes
We are one but not the same.
At Indeed Innovation we give all our colleagues the opportunity to bring their whole selves to work and we strive for an environment where everyone feels included, respected, and empowered. Indeed Innovation is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome your difference and actively seek applications from underrepresented groups.
INDEED is the innovation firm for a circular economy. We deliver products, experiences, and systems that eliminate waste, regenerate resources, close the lifecycle loop and help humans to adopt circular business models. We combine design, engineering, and strategy expertise with sustainable development practices and behavioral science principles.
We work for organizations of all sizes and across industries that are already participating in the Circular Economy and those who want to start their Circular Journey.