Passion. Creativity. Integrity. Teamwork. Ambition. Innovation. These are the qualities that have made Wilson Sporting Goods Co. the number one sports equipment brand in the world. And these are the qualities that our global team embodies every day as we pursue one shared bold mission: to ignite the true potential in every athlete.
We know that great people are what makes our brand great. We know that teams who bring a variety of skill sets, experiences and perspectives to challenge the status quo and create game-changing product means we are doing right by the athletes and coaches we serve. And that’s why we work with each member of our team to help them dream, discover, grow and realize their own full potential.
Evolving the sports world and being the best partner for players is no small task. We are continually looking to add hard-working, ambitious, team-first individuals who desire to make a difference —and who love to help others win. Join us.
What You'll Do
The CMF Designer will sit in the middle of the R&D team and play a critical role to drive new visual concepts at the beginning of the product creation process and work to refine color, material, finish, logos/marks and other graphical patterns or elements into the final product.
This individual will take inspiration from modern trends, youth/golf culture and combine with technical features and designs required to deliver world class performance. Other responsibilities may include:
- Help identify creative opportunities with product design to drive passion with golfers and the Wilson Brand.
- Use both high and low fidelity models, mock-ups, sketches, renders to communicate new concepts with Industrial Designers, CAD Professionals and Engineers to bring the concept to reality through CAD, 3D Printing and final part. A substantial amount of time will be spent rendering concepts for design, communication, marketing purposes.
- Follow and understand all relevant news in the world of golf such as but not limited to players, tours, competitors, facilities, teaching philosophies/technologies, and events.
- Research, understand and evaluate new or existing key competitive products (balls, clubs, bags, accessories) and new components (shafts, grips, etc.) and communicate the pros/cons in the designs.
- Research and understand methods of manufacturing, assembly and finishing and the limitations and opportunities to exploit new designs
- Actively participate in the development of the product roadmap and engage with engineers, player insights, marketing and designers on potential applications of design that the golfer will love.
- Communicate with the business team to provide justification and defend the design philosophy and execution of the product design chosen.
- Research and understand the rules governing compliance for golf equipment as set forth by the USGA and R&D governing bodies.
What We're Looking For
This role requires a four-year college degree in Graphic or Industrial Design or related field. Industrial Design backgrounds will be considered if the individual is geared toward and has a passion to work on the finished aesthetic design of golf equipment. Other qualifications include:
- 4-8 years of deep experience using design software including but not limited to Adobe, Keyshot, Alias, Rhino
- Experience with CAD software such as Solidworks a plus; experience with NX CAD package super++
- A student or work portfolio demonstrating the ability to sketch, model and render
- Ability to personally participate in the testing and evaluation of equipment a plus
- Ability to communicate complex methods, timelines and findings to a non-technical audience
- Ability to compare, evaluate and generate recommendations for improvements or next steps
- A desire to understand the design and manufacturing of sports equipment perform
- Ability to coordinate with overseas vendors
- Strong eye for examining the nuisance of shape and contour of complicated surfaces a big plus
- Ability to develop/deliver presentations in Powerpoint a plus
- Demonstrated love for the game of golf; less than 18 handicap a plus
Chicago, IL, USA