Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Announced by Nintendo in January 2019, Retro Studios is currently in the midst of developing Metroid Prime 4 for the Nintendo Switch.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Collaborate with designers and concept artists to implement proxy environments that accurately communicate intent for visual design, gameplay and narrative.
- Construct environmental assets that are performant, visually indicative of target visual design, and respect standardized player metrics.
- Compose environment scenes that demonstrate strong composition and layout skills.
- Work with team members to overcome creative challenges associated with reconciling perceived conflicts between form and function.
- Partner with narrative designers and artists to identify and leverage opportunities to enhance storytelling through gameplay and visual design.
- Take ownership of environmental assets and scene layout while encouraging collaboration.
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.