Garmin, the world leader in GPS technology, is looking for a talented industrial designer to join our award winning Consumer ID team and help lead the industrial design development of Garmin’s line of marine products. While primarily focused on the marine market, you will be part of a multi-disciplinary group of designers that develop products for Garmin’s outdoor, fitness, marine, and automotive markets. This team develops products like action cameras, handheld navigation, marine radars, cycling computers, and wearable technologies.
You’ll work directly with the industrial design staff, engineering, marketing, and management to create compelling products for our worldwide marine customers. Join us in our new 35,000 square foot design studio and well equipped shop with extensive design and prototyping technology and equipment. We’re looking for an experienced industrial designer with the courage to explore new ideas and form, combined with the ability to collaborate respectfully in a team.
As the lead designer for the marine market, you will support the aesthetic and ergonomic development of marine consumer products working alongside other ID team members and collaborating with Design, Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to explore, innovate, and execute world-class designs. You will utilize your knowledge of marine market consumer trends to improve product appearance.
• Understand the needs and desires of our worldwide marine customers
• Provide direction and leadership for the industrial design development of all marine products
• Explore a wide variety of compelling design options through sketching and rendering for Garmin’s marine consumer market
• Create 3D models using Solidworks for product development and prototyping
• Communicate concepts and ideas through verbal, visual, and written means
• Collaborate with Design, Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to translate project goals into relevant design solutions
• Work with a team of prototype specialists to create in-house appearance models
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• 6 - 10 years experience performing the essential functions of the job
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, related field, or a minimum of 5 years experience performing a role substantially similar to the essential functions of this job description
• Digital proficiency in the use of tools such as SolidWorks, Keyshot, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Sketchbook Pro
• Excellent presentation skills
• Ability to rapidly explore a wide variety of styling options (forms, colors, finishes, materials, etc.)
• A love for technology, trends, and an active lifestyle
• Courage to explore new ideas
• Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work respectfully with others
At Garmin, we like to work hard and have fun doing it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment with no dress code where sharing ideas and collaboration is encouraged. Garmin believes strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan, and much more.
Email resume and portfolio.