We are looking for an Industrial Design Consultant with a proven track record and strong consulting skills to join our team.
You’ll take a leading design role on a broad range of challenging projects including drug delivery, diagnostics and surgical. Working as part of multi-disciplinary teams you will responsible for developing user-focused design solutions working alongside our designers, human factors specialists and engineers. You’ll contribute to proposal preparation and project planning, taking responsibility for your own activities on projects and will help support the development and communication of our design capability.
Much of the work we do today spans the device, product packaging, patient information and digital user interface. So as well a strong background in industrial design, experience in digital UX/UI would be desirable.
The role will require you to:
- Get to the nub of an issue, and generate insights that others might miss by keeping a genuinely open mind throughout the design process
- Develop well considered ideas adding a compelling narrative to transform your insights into solutions
- Present product designs that have been developed with a meticulous attention to detail and solid justifications for every design decision.
You will report to the Director of Design, and as a member of this talented and award-winning design team you will:
- Play an active part in shaping the team through contributions to service and capability development, your own self-development, mentoring less experienced colleagues and knowledge sharing
- Be an ambassador for the design team, keeping design thinking at the forefront of development projects
- Be obsessed with excellence, but pragmatic in delivering the best possible solution within time, budget and regulatory constraints.
- A degree in Product / Industrial Design, likely 2:1 or above
- Significant client facing commercial design experience, most likely gained in a consulting or in-house design team with some medical product development experience
- Exceptional portfolio of products to evidence your relevant design skills
- Track record of delivering elegant design solutions to a variety of problems, demonstrating balance of form, function and user experience
- Great storytelling ability
- Applied strategic design thinking experience - the ability to see and convey the big story behind a concept
- Actively keeps abreast of design trends, materials and manufacturing processes
- An understanding of the implications of your design decisions, for later stages of product development
- Photoshop / Illustrator / InDesign / Keyshot skills
- 3D CAD experience – ideally SolidWorks and/or Creo – including detailed surfacing capability
- Digital UX/UI design experience including the use of software packages such as Sketch, Invision etc.
- Great sketching ability from quick communication to presentation standard
- Knowledge of ergonomics, design research, engineering, user experience.
- Excellent rounded communication skills – listening, verbal, written and presentation skills
- Strategic thinker with a track record of thought leadership for clients
- Able to plan and manage self and others to deliver results including time management and resource planning abilities
- Engaging through conveying a passion for good design and innovation
- Instinctively collaborative – actively sharing knowledge and information and supporting and developing others
- Commercially astute with experience supporting business development activities including sales meetings, proposal contributions, resource planning and estimating.
- Positive attitude, seeing the opportunities or learning in each challenge faced
- Enthusiastic, pro-active, self-starter who wants to make a positive impact whether with clients or colleagues
- Inquisitive, intelligent thinker who can embrace differences in style and generate smart solutions
- Driven by continuous improvement in all design challenges
People focused whether colleagues, clients or end users
- Consistent good judgement – “safe pair of hands”
- Focus on developing self and others, with good self-awareness and able to self-critique.