Facebook’s ARVR team is shaping the future of consumer electronics in augmented reality, virtual reality and the home. We are looking for a world-class industrial designer to lead our work and team for Portal products. As the lead ID for Portal, you bring strategic problem solving and industry-defining design leadership to create delightful, holistically considered products. You have experience building and managing teams and are comfortable guiding teams through complex programs, working collaboratively with cross-functional disciplines to bring next generation hardware and experiences to life.
INDUSTRIAL DESIGN MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and develop a team of designers. This requires setting clear goals, managing project loads and allocating designers accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success.
- Guide the team to develop best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, engineering, user research and communication design to ensure a smooth product development process.
- Recruit new designers and actively participate in the hiring process.
- Roll up your sleeves and contribute as a designer when necessary.
- Execute in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment, collaborating with teams in other offices as needed.
- Design category-defining products, helping Oculus/Portal/Facebook change the world through design.
- Help guide and build the visual and physical language of our brand thru the design of our hardware.
- Utilize user-centric thinking and excellent aesthetic sensibility and conceive elegant, effective ways to address ergonomic, mechanical, and manufacturing challenges.
- Lead/own design projects with internal and external resources.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design or a related field.
- 3+ years’ experience leading or managing a design team and directing development activities.
- Expertise in 3D CAD modeling and exploring and refining ideas through prototyping.
- Experience solving complex problems in a cross-functional team environment.
- Portfolio of relevant, world-class consumer products.
7+ years of experience as an Industrial Designer, designing, developing, and shipping successful consumer electronics (relevant home products).
Seattle, WA, USA