We’re looking for a highly talented Industrial Designer to join our design team at iRobot.
As an industrial designer in China, you will be responsible for execution of a product in all its details that are directly relate to what the customer sees and experiences.
This role requires balancing a deep sense of collaboration & communication, with an eye for design details, quality, and a desire to deliver the highest quality experience and design possible while ensuring that design integrity is maintained from concept to mass production.
- Support the transition of new product development programs from the US to China.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to ensure development programs achieve design intent through mass production.
- Evaluate the aesthetic quality and craftsmanship of pre-production builds and coordinate with engineering teams, contract manufacturers and suppliers to ensure design intent targets are maintained through mass production.
- Keep design team in the U.S. informed about the project updates and progress.
- Work with designers and engineers on complex problems.
- Create solutions that are simple, elegant and technically feasible.
- Develop and review final CMF to match the golden samples for its accuracy and durability.
- Develop detailed ID specifications and CMF documents to communicate with engineers.
- Stay on top of the latest CMF technologies and manufacturing methods to ensure iRobot is the category leader.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial design or similar.
- 2-5 years of design for manufacturing experience.
- Proficient in spoken and written English (expert level).
- The ability to communicate design concepts through hand sketches, mock-ups, and models; from 3D prints to full appearance models to early prototypes.
- Highly organized and ability to prioritize deadlines/deliverables with understanding of schedule impacts
- The ability to take feedback with open minded and do the same thing to people.
- The ability to work directly with manufacturers and suppliers on multiple programs simultaneously.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of material costs and finishes, manufacturing processes, tooling methods and assembly methods.
- A great sensitivity to color, aesthetics, and materiality, and the ability to translate trends into compelling products.
- Highly proficient in CAD (Rhino, Pro-E, SolidWorks) and visualization tools (Creative Suite), and expertly use this to gain alignment with engineering and product stakeholders
- Highly proficient in a 3D rendering program – Keyshot or similar.
- Highly proficient in the use of Adobe Creative Suite.