Industrial designer specialized in furniture design. The candidate has to have empathetic leadership abilities and good communication skills. She/He has to have good knowledge of design trends (able to understand and predict), craftsmanship and knowledge in the production limitations. The designer has to be able to balance innovation, aesthetic appeal and functionality. The candidate will be in direct contact with the top management and needs to feel comfortable in working under pressure, take responsibilities and risks in tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of the luxury market and trends and able to understand the luxury consumer in different countries
- Can wear a business hat and have the entrepreneur spirit to lead the new product design projects to success.
- Lead large and/or complex design projects from concept generation through implementation.
- Collaborate with global design teams on cross category programs to come up with holistic solutions.
- Understand the consumer so that functional aspects can be considered along with aesthetic needs and cost objectives.
- Ensure there is a high level of design within all of the details through out the product.
- Provide design and technical guidance to the new product development team and other Industrial Designers.
- Research and planning a variety of furniture styles, understanding and implementing the unique Kohler DNA.
- Provide periodically design trend analysis with particular attention to upcoming trends and styles.
- Translate research and planning in furniture and apply to the product the marketing strategic plan and timeline.
- Ability to work with a variety of materials (wood, metal, glass, plastic, textile among other).Understand material limitations and possibilities and be able to apply them in order to make a product trendy but unique.
- Liaisonwithengineersandmanufacturestaffinordertofindthemostsuitable solution to ensure the best result possible and a smooth production process.
- Evaluatefixingcosts,pricing,materialsafety,sourcingtime,manufacturing methods.
- Storytelling and conceptual thinking. Building, communicate and express the concepts with colleagues and collaborators.
- Reports to Styling Space Design Manager
- Advises and mentors less experienced Furniture Design personnel.
- Works alongside Engineering, Marketing, Communications and Manufacturing in a team environment.
External Business Relationships
- Occasional contact with design consultants.
- Occasional contact with vendors and suppliers.
- Attends industry trade shows and seminars as needed to maintain awareness of competitor products, designs, and overall consumer product design trends.
- Attends industrial design seminars and courses as necessary to maintain professional skills.
Education And experience requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited university or college of design with academic emphasis on product design. Minimum 4-6 years of experience in interior design, architecture, furniture, lighting, consumer research and/or other related field.
- Have one or more of the following expertise that would be unique and desirable:
- Living products: A high affinity for trends, lifestyle, materials and modern living experience
- Home Products/Furniture/Lighting: Materials and process knowledge in various home furnishing products, sensitivity to interior design and home environment
- Electronic Products–Experience in developing electronic products is preferred
- Able to communicate well in English
- Highly skilled in design related softwares
- Familiar with various manufacturing process
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Ability to create a vision and innovate
- Positive Attitude
- Diversity (international background preferred)
- Business Acumen
Why Work at Kohler Co.?
Kohler Co.'s mission is to contribute to a higher level of gracious living for those who are touched by our products and services. We understand that it takes investment in our associates’ development to make that happen. So, we offer ongoing investment in each individual’s personal development and the opportunity to collaborate with others across functions and roles at Kohler.
In addition to the investment in your development, Kohler offers a benefits package including a competitive salary, health, vision, dental, 401(k) with company matching, and more!
Beyond the competitive benefits and compensation, Kohler proudly offers a rich history, steeped in creativity and a commitment to our associates and communities. We invite you to learn more about our culture and company at www.kohlercompany.com .
It is Kohler’s policy to recruit, hire, and promote qualified personnel in all job classifications without regard to race, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, disability or veteran status. If, as an individual with a disability, you need reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact [email protected] . Kohler Co. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.