Do you have an aptitude for producing functional, effective and aesthetically pleasing products? This is an excellent opportunity to showcase your abilities in a cutting-edge industry where your work will be at the forefront of what is technically possible. You will discuss design requirements, technical specifications and other criteria with internal teams and customers. You will be responsible for preparing detailed drawings of the product and making amendments based on feedback and testing. You will have responsibility for the whole product design, including packaging and user experience. You will need to work across multiple teams, including R&D, production, business development and service design, as well as the executive team.
Ultimately, you will help us build products that are easy to use and visually appealing to our potential customers and communicate their function and the Company’s values with a clear and consistent visual language. As this is a product for manufacturing some exposure to designing for manufacture is essential, the ideal candidate would be someone with this experience at the early stages of their career but who can add value to our growing organisation. The products are also the result of extensive R&D and very tight engineering constraints, and so an understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering, as well as software interface design is also desirable.
As Product Designer you will:
• sketch designs that enable you to communicate your ideas with a variety of stakeholders; including Engineers, Business Development and customers
• have ownership for the full design remit from prototype to final design; including product, packaging and user experience
• be able to quickly generate concept/presentation boards, both by hand and by using appropriate packages e.g. Illustrator/Photoshop
• create and amend technical designs using CAD
• Be adept at making physical 3D models, and working with the development team to iterate the designs with the development process
• able to synthesise feedback from Engineering, Testing or Product Management on user experience to improve design
• able to lead creative discussions with Engineering, Customers and Executive team as required
• have a good eye for colour and pattern and an appreciation of different materials and their properties for the required purpose
• work with the Product Manager and Engineering teams from initial ideas right through development to pre-production critiques
• responsible for quality check of product against designs
• set out the design guidelines and procedures or specifications needed for production, especially surrounding quality assurance.
• support Business Development and Product Management with support for key accounts e.g. arrange product design showcases in customer meetings
Key essential skills and experience
• Degree level qualification in appropriate subject e.g. Product Design and Technology
• A few years’ experience in a consumer or manufacturing focused design environment
• Strong IT skills including design packages and CAD
• Proven ability to generate and communicate ideas from sketch work through to development
• An excellent eye for colour and pattern
• Good knowledge of manufacturing processes, materials and their properties
• Strong multi-tasker with the ability to tackle multiple projects at any one time
• Demonstrate leadership, and the ability to manage and interpret multiple inputs, and communicate the company’s vision
Benefits… what do you get?
• Competitive salary, dependent on experience
• EMI share options scheme
• Company discount scheme
• Flexible working
• 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
• Pension scheme
This is a full-time position but part-time would be considered for the right candidate.
Please see our website for the full role profile.