Makino is a multinational company specializing in CNC machine design and innovation.
The Makino Design Studio was created at the end of 2019 as an in-house design consultancy that focuses on industrial, UX and graphic design. It works on the current line of machines as well as the ‘factory of the future’, including modular architecture and automated guided vehicles. The department is English-speaking and is being led by a British industrial designer to whom you will be accountable.
Given the department’s successful impact within the company, Makino is looking to expand its design capabilities. This is a young department and the successful candidate will be the second full-time industrial design hire and a core member of the design team.
The ideal candidate should have a creative background in design, and be excited about, and committed to, the prospect of living and working in Japan.
The ideal candidate should also:
· have the ability to work independently and efficiently.
· be a team player with exceptional visualisation and communication skills.
· be hardworking, enthusiastic and bring new perspectives to company projects.
· take on tasks outside their comfort zone and have the drive to learn new skills.
· collaborate and inspire other departments within the global business.
· be excited to be part of a growing international design team.
· Strong communication skills in English
· At least two years of industry experience (exceptional candidates with less experience may be considered for this role)
· Proficient in Solidworks
· Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (esp. Photoshop, Illustrator)
· Strong KeyShot skills
· Excellent manual and digital sketching skills
· Excellent ideation, concept design and visualisation skills
· Exceptional verbal communication skills
· Experience of designing a product from initial insight to production design
· An exceptional portfolio
· Education or degree in Industrial Design
· Interest in manufacturing
· Interest in travel and culture
· Unique opportunity to work in a new design team in Tokyo
· Annual Salary (fixed term contract, dependent on experience and skill level) 4,000,000 – 5,500,000 JPY
· Paid overtime hours
· Relocation allowance
· Commuting allowance
· Lunch subsidy
· Annual health checkup
· 15 days annual leave plus 15 public holidays
· International working environment
· For candidates located overseas the hiring process will be conducted remotely, with video interviews.
· Travel restrictions are changing all the time, but it is expected that the successful candidate will be able to come to Japan in the middle of 2021.
· Please email your portfolio and CV in a PDF document (10mb MAX):