The ideal candidate has several years (5 years minimum) of experience within a design team, either in a company or
agency, having integrated design in the strategy of product conception.
He/she must be capable to manage industrial design, which includes products, graphic and packaging.
He/she must possess a strong artistic and technical culture enabling the creation of brand design defined by our design charters.
He/she must be graduate from an Industrial design school.
The future design manager is able to:
• Express ideas clearly and build on the ideas of others.
• Inspire, provide vision and direction through work and approach within the community of people from many disciplines (interaction design, engineering, marketing and business)
• Translate user needs, technical realities, brand attributes and business needs into compelling products that embody a positive experience.
• Experience managing complex, multi-disciplinary programs in parallel.
• Demonstrate ability to coordinate and track deliverables, schedules, budgets, teams and resources.
• Anticipate next steps, ensuring seamless flow of communication between BU and internal and external
• Build and maintain relationships with clients (BU, front office)
• Demonstrate excellent visualisation skills
• Express a unique point of view on the design brand strategy.
• Demonstrate knowledge of and empathy for the manufacturing process.
• Understand product development cycle.
• Handle the technical connection between visual and functional design elements.
• Hand-on model making experience
• 3D CAD Skills
• Process a great general knowledge of design trends and the curiosity to challenge them.
• Demonstrate an energetic, curious and Charismatic personality that infects others with passion for design.
• Centralise all design projects from Schneider Electric entities within the Pacific area (Australia and New-Zealand)
• Carry through, with the team, the design projects which have been confided to the design lab (concept, project, mock-up)
• Help to select the local external design agencies.
• Organise, plan and accompany the projects confided to external design agencies (conception, functional and aesthetic mock-ups).
• Evaluate costs and optimise the budgets with regards to projects given to external agencies.
• Organise and oversee constructive communication between R&D, marketing, and the external agencies.
• Participate towards the annual budget evaluation of the design lab.
• Oversee the internal designers and external design agencies, check that their design are appropriate, and respect the rules of our brand design.
• Contribute, diffuse and survey the respect of the design charters.
• Animate and stimulate the creativity of the team with the support of our design charters.
• Fix objectives and evaluate annually the design lab team members, following the HR process.
• Participate monthly at the design project review, presenting the key projects of the design lab. This project
review is conducted with the 4 design labs and corporate design world-wide.
• Maintain contact and work with the other design labs within the group.
• Contribute towards the elaboration of an annual Schneider Electric design seminar, including both internal
designers and external design agencies.
• Recruitment (with the validation of SVP Design & Ergonomics) of the designers within the team.
• Organisation and animation of the “design days” within the continent.
• Pilot design prospecting (design schools, universities, design centres).