Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform used by small to medium sized businesses and global brands alike. We believe entrepreneurship should be accessible to everyone. We are powering the future of commerce by removing barriers to enable anyone anywhere to build, grow, and scale a business, both online and offline. Shopify currently powers over 800,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries.
Our industrial designers are exploring the future of Retail and they take ownership over the entire physical product development process. They collaborate with a variety of experts internally as well as with outside agencies and vendors in order to design and prototype new products and experiences, helping to shape the strategic direction for Shopify hardware.
Here’s some examples of what our Industrial Designers have worked on in the past and some insight into Retail Hardware at Shopify:
How to Sell Anywhere with Shopify’s POS: https://www.shopify.com/connect
Our new Tap & Chip Reader: https://www.shopify.com/pos/tap-and-chip
- Helping to define the future of in-person selling and retail experiences through new product concepts and innovations
- Leading the overall design and development of multiple products from concept through to manufacturing and production, including the out-of-box experience, graphics, and packaging
- Actively communicating and collaborating with external engineering and design agencies and manufacturing partners.
- Presenting concepts and detailed design work to various audiences within the company
- Collaborating with project managers, designers and researchers to define and refine the scope, brief, and approaches to projects.
- Mentor and support other designers on the team and contribute to evolving industrial design as a craft at Shopify.
- BA or MS in Industrial Design or a combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 6-8 years experience as an industrial designer bringing physical products to market, from concept through to manufacturing.
- A portfolio that strongly demonstrates your passion for all things design and user-centered problem solving.
- Highly skilled in form development and equally as strong in execution.
- Ability to adapt and shift priorities under challenging timelines.
- Strong ideation, brainstorming, and rapid visualization skills.
- A proven ability to tell and visually communicate thoughts and ideas within multidisciplinary teams.
- A deep understanding of materials, plastic and metal processes, and quality control for mass production.
- Experience with research driven innovation, strategic design thinking, insights and trend research, brand DNA creation and usage, ergonomics expertise, CMF (colours, materials, and finishes.
- Advanced knowledge of parametric CAD software (Solidworks /Fusion 360) and/or surface modelers (Rhino/Alias), highly proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and other visualization tools, and rendering software such as Keyshot.
- Comfortable flexing your schedule to support frequent communication with partners in other time-zones.
- Must be willing to travel approximately 15% of the year.
If you're interested in this position please complete the challenge question and include a link to your portfolio in the “links” section. Please make out your cover letter to Nicole!
Only applicants who submit a portfolio will be considered.