About ION Design
ION Design is an award-winning product design and innovation consulting firm located in Northern New Jersey, near Manhattan. For more than 20 years, ION has been developing innovative consumer products, medical devices, and diagnostic instruments that help our clients – from tech start-ups to international corporations – stay competitive. Along the way, we’ve earned over a hundred U.S. and international patents, dozens of the industry’s most prestigious design awards, and the appreciation of some of the world’s leading healthcare and consumer product companies.
ION Design is looking for an exceptional Senior Industrial Designer with 6-10 years experience to join our talented team. Our focus is new product innovation and we thrive on challenging assignments. The services we provide cover the breadth of the product development cycle: user research, concept development, industrial design, UI design, mechanical/ electrical design, and prototype development. A senior designer will be expected to contribute at every stage of our product creation process, including gathering user insights, analyzing trend data, ascertain the program marketing and engineering criteria, and follow projects from concept to production. We’re searching for a talented designer with the ability to visualize compelling design solutions that can be implemented within the marketing and manufacturing objectives. This is a rare opportunity to work in an informal, fast-paced, and stimulating environment, and we seek a smart and creative team member with the following characteristics:
1. Strong sense of aesthetics. ION Design is looking for a creative problem solver with 6-10 years experience who can visualize thoughtful and compelling design solutions to complex design problems and develop them within the framework of volume production. Excellent sketching and form-giving skills are essential.
2. Excellent product development skills. The industrial designer we seek is also a person with a good understanding of the development process and what it takes to bring a product to market, including: writing product plans and specifications, creative brainstorming, rapid idea generation and concept development, creation of descriptive 2D visualizations and detailed 3D CAD geometry in Solidworks. You must also have a good understanding of production processes, including plastic injection molding.
3. Strong communication skills. The best ideas will only get implemented if you can convincingly present and articulate them to others. As a design consultant, you must be able to communicate effectively with clients, suppliers, and team members through written and spoken word.
• Education: Bachelor’s (or Masters) degree in Industrial Design;
• Experience: 6+ years in medical device and/ or consumer products; 2-3 years designing consumer electronics desirable;
• Sketching: Excellent hand sketching (on paper and Wacom tablet), ideation, and presentation skills;
• 2D Design Exploration: Expert-level knowledge of Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop (photo realistic renderings);
• 3D CAD modeling: Advanced skills in Solidworks, including surfacing, file generation suitable for Rapid Prototyping;
• UI Design: Experience developing wireframes, look & feel, etc.
• Basic knowledge of injection molding and other volume manufacturing processes;
• Basic shop skills;
Must have U.S. Citizenship or Green Card (Permanent Residency). No sponsorship is available.