We love design and we love gear. We are looking for an exceptional industrial designer that shares our passion for design, gear, and outdoor sports. This is an opportunity to create the equipment that people love. We need a technical softgoods designer with a proven track record to execute at every level of the design process – from concept to final design.
The Senior Industrial Designer works in tight coordination with a multi-disciplinary team in all aspects of design for each product they are assigned to. The Senior Industrial Designer is specifically responsible for the form, color, human interaction, ergonomics, graphics, and all other aesthetic aspects of the products assigned.
Further details specific to a Senior Industrial Designer:
• Designs Black Diamond’s technical softgoods and innovative shoe line
• Often assigned to work on cloud projects
• Takes a design leadership role in all aspects of the design process – research, concepts, modelling, prototyping, design execution
1. Generate concepts through brainstorming and other creative processes
2. Create sketches, renderings, surface models, solid models, mock ups, prototypes or other representations of the design as appropriate to each specific project
3. Generate appropriate color options, product graphics, logos, and other markings
4. Select appropriate materials and manufacturing processes
5. Work closely with the Design Engineer and Developer to ensure the selected vendor is building parts and products to the design intent
6. Follow and adhere to the timeline requirements of the assigned project
7. Present project status in regular design reviews
8. Process design change orders in a timely and accurate manner
9. Research new materials and technologies for potential use for Black Diamond products
10. Travel domestically and internationally to conduct research, work with vendors, attend trade shows and other job-related functions
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design or other closely related field
Required: 5 years post-graduation experience
Preferred: 8 years post-graduation experience
Skills and General Experience
Must demonstrate a track record of creative and compelling designs and a portfolio of successful products. Must demonstrate the ability to sketch, create renderings and model products in a way that clearly communicates design intent. Must possess an in-depth working knowledge of the sports of climbing, skiing, mountaineering and all activities for which we design products. In addition, this position requires the ability to conduct research, present project status, communicate clearly, meet deadlines, use word processing, spreadsheets, email and other basic computer skills. Experience working with suppliers to execute on high quality product is preferred.
Benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long Term Disability as well as other wellness benefits, and 401k. BD offers supplemental accident, hospital insurance and pet insurance. Relaxed dress code and a dog friendly office. If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy discounts on industry gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.