Design Partners is a product design and innovation agency located in the garden of Ireland, just south of Dublin city.
Everyone at Design Partners shares the same goal, to elevate human potential. We collaborate with ambitious brands to create future product experiences that enable people to achieve incredible things. Meaningful products that add enjoyment to everyday life. Making complex tasks simple. Empowering people to be better tomorrow than today.
How? We uncover meaningful insights to inspire business & innovation strategy.
We are natural-born problem solvers, dedicated to bringing ideas to life. A connected team of researchers, designers & engineers, all under one roof.
Teamwork delivers the best thinking and our clients enjoy that spirit of partnership.
Be part of our growing team.
Please note: This is a full-time role based in Bray, Dublin. If successful, you will be expected to work primarily from our offices.
- We are looking for exceptional, creative, curious and collaborative Senior Mechanical Design Engineers to join our team. You will have the chance to impact products developed for some of the biggest brands in the world while solving complex and ambitious engineering problems.
- You will take a key role working in a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment, surrounded by people who want to deliver the very best for our clients. You will operate in multi-functional teams where our mechanical engineers work closely with designers, researchers and electronics engineers to deliver new and exciting products and experiences.
- You will organize and prioritize your own work, and the work of others to meet deadlines. You’ll enjoy client contact and will be able to communicate brilliantly with a wide range of people and teams.
- Work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary development team, providing technical consultation with respect to manufacturing feasibility and technical risk. Drive engineering content from brainstorming to detailed engineering development providing mechanical design from concept through to manufacture using concept sketches, 3D software, simulation software, engineering knowledge and hands on experience.
- Utilize engineering tools effectively to produce a range of deliverables, including 3D mechanical design, manufacturing tolerance analyses, risk analyses and 2D production-level documentation of components and assemblies.
- Use predictive design and tolerance analysis techniques for calculation of design specifications.
- Utilize engineering principles and analysis techniques including FMEA’s, DOE and Monte Carlo methods.
- Build proof of concept rigs and models making use of our in-house mechanical & electronics workshops and rapid prototyping facilities, to evaluate user experience, functionality, manufacturability and robustness of design solutions and define functional lab testing and analysis of test data to prove same.
- Engage and manage outside vendors for prototyping, gathering manufacturability feedback and cost and lead-time estimates.
- Assemble prototypes, generate test plans, conduct tests and create reports and other documentation tailored to project/client needs.
- Work with external manufacturing partners and other suppliers.
- Collaborate closely with the senior team to define initial project scope, meet with existing and potential clients, write proposals, lead presentations, estimate and establish the most appropriate process and deliverables to satisfy a client’s needs.
- Foster positive relationships with clients to ensure they both understand and are part of the full product development process.
- You will be expected to advise, support and check the work of the more junior members of the engineering team. You will often be expected to manage the financial and commercial aspects of projects as well as leading the technical work. This will involve organising the team, managing budgets and timescales, liaising with and presenting to our clients.
- You will need to assimilate new information and learn new skills very quickly in a dynamic, consultancy environment.
- International travel to support vendors and brief clients on project deliverables.
- 10+ years hands-on engineering experience in product development.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or other mechanical-centric Engineering discipline required.
- A proven track record in design for assembly, disassembly and efficient transfer to low, mid or high-volume manufacture of multiple products.
- Excellent CAD experience with the ability to generate robust 3D databases and mechanical drawings including GD&T and Tolerance Stacks. SolidWorks or Creo proficiency strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of a wide variety of manufacturing processes, including injection molding, rapid prototyping, sheet metal fabrication, casting and machining.
- Advanced Knowledge of quality tools such as DFMEA, DFMA and Tolerance Analysis.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to plan, organise and implement concurrent tasks.
- Fluent prototyping skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, highlighted by a flexible and collaborative working style and the ability to generate reports and presentations to all levels.
- Strong understanding and appreciation for industrial design, interaction design and user research preferred.
Impress us with:
- Experience in Simulation (FEA, CFD and Mold Flow using Ansys or Altair an advantage).
- Significant experience in and knowledge of design for high volume manufacturing and assembly.
- Ability to create electronics prototypes to support testing and data acquisition, explore technology possibilities and create interactive prototypes.
- Consultancy Experience.
- Expert user of 3D CAD (such as CREO, Solidworks) with high quality 3D surfacing an advantage.
- Someone who shows initiative and is creative – you solve problems.
- You are comfortable with complexity and ambiguity.
- You are an excellent communicator and collaborator, with the ability to influence key stakeholders.
- You don’t get flustered, aggravated or annoyed easily. You understand that sometimes the goalposts shift.
- You love to share. You can mentor, develop and guide members of the team.
- Most importantly, you understand you are part of a team
How to stand out among the rest:
Your resume/CV is enough to show off your skills, accomplishments and experience. However, if you want to stand out, include a cover letter telling us a bit about yourself, why you became an engineer and why you think Design Partners is the right fit for you. If you had some examples of your work, be that professional or personal, we would love to see that too.
Our clients include Dell, Logitech, Cricut, Harman, Huawei, HP, Nokia Bell Labs, Abbott, Hollister, Medtronic and Honeywell to name but a few. We’re seeking a self-motivated, meticulous and highly skilled problem solvers who are passionate about achieving success for our clients, the business and yourself.
Could you be our next Senior Mechanical Design Engineer?