At Kids II, we’re really good at what we do. And when we’re great at our jobs, we help parents be great at their jobs.
Parenting is demanding, and that’s where we come in. We want to reimagine how brands can make it easier for early stage parents – not by just selling them products, but by providing holistic solutions that transcend borders, categories and aisles.
No matter our title or department, at Kids II, our job is to create more tiny wins for parents, so they can create bright futures for their little ones. That’s a big task!
We’re serious about what we do, AND we love to have fun. Our team is hardworking, entrepreneurial, and passionate about helping families create millions, if not billions of tiny wins.
The Senior Design Engineer (SDE) is integral to a cross-functional team charged with the development of new products and solutions and seeks to incorporate innovative solutions to ensure a sustainable competitive advantage for Kids 2. This role calls for a Mechanical Design Engineer with 5-7 years' experience in product design and development. The role also requires excellent organizational skills, as there will be regular interaction with strategic Kids 2 manufacturing and design partners. Experience developing and building detailed CAD models and assemblies in Creo is needed for this role. The ability to trouble shoot design challenges and design for targeted FOB budgets is a must have for the SDE position. This position engages directly in cross-functional activities with Experience design, Product Integrity, Business units, Insights, Marketing, Manufacturing, procurement and Legal team to ensure regulatory and legal compliance to global, government and industry standards and incrementally to Kids 2 Quality Control Standards (QCS) as applicable. This role is responsible for the development of Kids 2 product solutions in cooperation all the different teams within the Company.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Support the design, development and launch of new products into the Kids 2 modular system design ecosystem.
- Leverage CAD simulation tools to optimize the part/assembly structure and material utilization.
- Design parts and assemblies leveraging Creo 3D CAD tools, leveraging surface CAD.
- Create detailed drawings with CTF and QC dimensions for FAI and QC approvals.
- Manage of FAI process.
- Ability to work with manufacturing engineering teams to trouble shoot and problem solve issues related to DFM.
- Interpret consumer insights into new products intended to support the growth of, and to achieve a sustainable competitive advantage for the Company.
- Work cross-functionally with other internal teams in order to ensure new products meet consumer, customer and Company requirements.
- Design mechanisms, per information provided in the design brief and interaction with internal and external industrial design teams.
- Implement Design for Manufacturing and assembly (DFMA) methodologies for processes including injection molding, sheet metal forming, tubing bending, and soft goods (fabric and upholstery) development to produce optimal product solutions.
- Evaluate and verify accuracy of surface models created internally or by outside vendors and which are used for prototyping and production requirements intended to achieve optimal assembly, cost, user experience and aesthetics.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement (performance enhancement and cost reduction) on an on-going basis by leading sourcing and cost reduction initiatives.
- Support the process of cost-benefit analysis, maintain profitability reports, develop requests for quotes, construct bill of materials, and prepare drawings and complete engineering packages to ascertain the feasibility of new product initiatives.
- Support the team reviewing programs for patentability, submit detailed patent search request documentation, and analyze and support potential intellectual property concerns by collaborating with the Kids 2 Legal Team.
- Organizes all Quality Review Board submittals through tooling release as outlined in the development schedule to insure adherence to regulatory and internal quality standards. Identify and resolve quality issues.
- Work with vendor factories and offices to resolve product development issues so as to effectively manage project risk and to conduct negotiations with vendors regarding product cost, tooling and scheduling requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- At least 7 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Real world product development experience. Developing products from design briefs through concepting, CAD ideation, prototyping, tooling and factory launch.
- Understanding and experience with electronic and electromechanical devices and/or circuit development for consumer products is preferred.
- Ability to utilize engineering knowledge and experience to add value to product development and manufacturing solutions.
- Strong working knowledge and use of 3D CAD software such as Croe, and related PDM systems (Creo/WindChill preferred)
- Experience with the following: FEA, structural design, small electric motors and mechanisms are a plus.
- Experiences working with vendors on design for manufacturing and product cost.
- Experience developing specification/drawing packages for quoting, design reviews, FAI and tooling.
EDUCATION & SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree (BS) from an accredited, four-year college or university in Mechanical.
- Excellent communications skills (spoken and written).
- Demonstrate a proficient understanding of value engineering processes and techniques, including high speed manufacturing, printing and construction methods to support cost, logistics, protection of, and merchandising requirements for the product.
- Experience developing products for high volume production.
- Experience working with internal and external team to develop mechanical specification documents (drawing, 3D CAD, material requirements, test specification ect)
- Ability to execute and excel in high-paced organization.
- Project management and demonstrates knowledge of engineering and manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrates leadership through example
- Ability to work independently, displaying initiative and the motivation to succeed.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), MS Project, Visio, Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop.
- Engineering software including but not limited to Creo, Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc.
- General office environment
- May travel to Asia (Hong Kong and China)
We offer competitive pay, flexible hours, and generous benefits. Plus, to keep things fun (because we are all kids at heart), we offer a host of team member activities and philanthropic efforts throughout the year and company-wide awards and recognition for a job well done!