About The Team
BrightDrop User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of Software Designers, Researchers, Writers, HCI and Human Factors experts, Creative Technologists, and Industrial Designers. Our goal is to design and build the most relevant and delightful products we possibly can.
You have a rare combination of creative vision and capacity to execute, you can think systematically and create amazing experiences while getting into the nitty gritty of technical details, you are an amazing creative while staying humble and in collaboration with others. You love greenfield challenges where your designs can push the boundaries for what is possible to fully express your creative confidence and deep love for craft. As an Industrial Designer, you’ll help BrightDrop define and design user experience with physical products in the BrightDrop delivery ecosystem.
You’ll design interactions with our family of e-carts which move smaller payloads and can be used with, or independently of, our delivery vans. There’s also the in-vehicle experience, customized to streamline delivery. And then what’s next? You’ll be pivotal in defining it. No matter what’s needed to physically support deliveries and the people who make them happen, you’ll design. You’ll create compelling and useful experiences across all touchpoints for customers ranging from delivery drivers to the general public.
What You Will Do
- Help us envision the future(s). Conceptualize, visualize, and develop new product designs including aspects of form, aesthetics, and physical interactions.
- Explore product architectures that consider details of how people use and perceive the product.
- Create design language that defines BrightDrop product families. Create signature elements that are usable, meaningful, and recognizable.
- Use sketching, 3D CAD and renderings, hand built physical mock-ups, and 3D prints to build prototypes that simulate experience with the product and how it might be built.
- Work with other designers, design researchers, and engineers to analyze and test product usability in the prototype lab and in the field.
- Determine detailed designs inclusive of materials, mechanisms, shapes, and surfaces.
- Create product design documentation (renderings, models, mechanical drawings, CAD, written reports). Iterate with Product and Engineering groups as product design is specified and converges on what will be shipped.
- There will be a particular emphasis on:
- Proficiency in drawing and visualization, coming up with several solutions for a product requirement.
- Developing user experience journeys and scenarios, laying out how people interact with the product in different contexts, considering usability and ergonomics.
- Defining materials, construction, mechanisms, forms, finishes, and manufacturability in cooperation with other groups involved in the new product development process.
- Working closely with strategists, researchers, and other design disciplines to shape holistic experiences involving physical, digital, service, and brand components.
Additional Job Description
We Are Looking For
- 5+ years professional industrial design experience with a strong product development background.
- Experience in taking designs from forward-thinking concepts through detailed production.
- Willingness to dive into projects with a blank slate & learning/listening mindset.
- The ability to bring consumer-level polish to industrial-grade products.
- Experience collaborating in distributed multifunctional teams, across Human Factors, HCI, Engineering, and Product, as an industrial design lead.
- Ability to operate autonomously as an early member of the hardware product design team. Experience mentoring junior designers.
- A nimble, iterative, hands-on approach to problem solving and product definition.
- A university degree in Industrial Design, Architecture, or a related design or engineering discipline
- Great to also have:
- Experience in delivery, autonomy, or mobility domains.
- Experience designing physical products for rugged environments.
- Experience working in an agile environment – agency or start-up background is helpful.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.