Garmin, the world leader in GPS technology, is looking for talented industrial designers to join our Consumer ID team. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary group of designers developing products for Garmin’s outdoor, fitness, marine, and automotive markets-- products like action cameras, handheld navigation, marine radars, cycling computers, and wearable technologies.
Work directly with engineering, marketing, and management to create compelling products for our worldwide customers. Join us in our new 35,000 square foot design studio and well equipped shop with extensive design and prototyping technology and equipment. We’re looking for industrial designers with the courage to explore new ideas and form, combined with the ability to collaborate respectfully in a team.
A Garmin Industrial Designer leads the aesthetic and ergonomic development of consumer products collaborating with Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to explore, innovate, and execute world-class designs.
• Explore a wide variety of compelling design options through sketching and rendering for Garmin’s consumer product markets
• Understand and apply future trends in design, technology, and materials
• Create 3D models using Solidworks for product development and prototyping
• Communicate concepts and ideas through verbal, visual, and written means
• Understand the needs and desires of our customers
• Collaborate with Design, Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to translate project goals into relevant design solutions
• Work with a team of prototype specialists to create in-house appearance models
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• 0 – 2 years experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, related field, or a minimum of 5 years experience performing a role substantially similar to the essential functions of this job description
• Digital proficiency in the use of tools such as SolidWorks, Keyshot, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Sketchbook Pro
• Excellent hand sketching skills (Wacom Tablet experience preferred)
• Ability to rapidly explore a wide variety of styling options (forms, colors, finishes, materials, etc.)
• A passion for design, technology, and an active lifestyle
• Courage to explore new ideas
• Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work respectfully with others
At Garmin, we like to work hard and have fun doing it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment with no dress code where sharing ideas and collaboration is encouraged. Garmin believes strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer dental insurance, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Retirement Plan, and much more.
Email resume and portfolio.