Leapfrog Brands is seeking a versatile industrial design intern to join the team of Industrial Designers, Engineers, and Marketing superstars in our West Loop Chicago studio. The candidate will have opportunities to work on a variety of real-world industrial design and product development projects. Selected candidates will gain an extraordinary knowledge of the product development life cycle.
Leapfrog Brands is a powerful combination of classic innovation process and retail savvy. We truly are a “one stop shop” of product development. From the fuzzy and undefined front end of the development process to the packaging, shipping and logistics of manufactured product, we actually do it all. We focus on co-designing products with a highly skilled cross functional team. We create cohesive and optimal product experiences for our brands. Our products are sold worldwide and we have the privilege of serving customers such as Walmart, Target, and Costco.
We are looking for a 6 month commitment September 2016 – March 2017, 30-40 hours/week.
Start and end dates are flexible.
This is a paid internship.
- Must be an enrolled student in or recent graduate of a undergraduate (BA, BS, etc.) program in industrial design or closely related field.
- Ability to create mockups and prototypes in a wide range of media.
- Ability to proficiently and safely use woodshop equipment.
- Excellent creative problem solving and ideation.
- A strong understanding of design principles and strong aesthetic sense/form development.
- Excellent sketching and visualizing skills (digital and analog).
- Ability to communicate ideas visually, verbally, and in writing.
- Understanding of product manufacturing processes and materials.
- Demonstrated ability to create graphic or 2-D based solutions.
- 2D software excellence, e.g. Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator.
- 3D software knowledge, e.g. Rhino, Solidworks, Fusion 360
- Rendering and software knowledge, e.g. Keyshot
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- A utility player. You're willing to help out wherever needed.
- Must be authorized to work in the US.
How to Apply:
Please send an e-mail with "Industrial Design Internship" in the subject line, and include all of the following:
- Cover letter — as the body of the e-mail.
- Resume — as an attachment in PDF format.
- Portfolio — send an attachment in PDF format or URL link to an online portfolio.