Industrial Design: Summer Intern 2015
Garmin, the world leader in GPS technology, is looking for a talented industrial design intern for the summer of 2015. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary group of designers developing products for Garmin’s outdoor, fitness, marine, and automotive markets-- products like action cameras, handheld navigation, marine radars, cycling computers, and wearable technologies.
Work directly with engineering, marketing, and management to create compelling products for our worldwide customers. Join us in our new 35,000 square foot design studio and well equipped shop with extensive design and prototyping technology and equipment. We’re looking for an industrial design intern with the courage to explore new ideas and form, combined with the ability to collaborate respectfully in a team.
As an intern at Garmin, you will support the aesthetic and ergonomic development of consumer products working alongside an ID team member and collaborating with Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to explore, innovate, and execute world-class designs.
• Explore a wide variety of compelling design options through sketching and rendering for Garmin’s consumer product markets
• Understand and apply future trends in design, technology, and materials
• Create 3D models using Solidworks for rendering and prototyping
• Communicate concepts and ideas through verbal, visual, and written means
• Understand the needs and desires of our customers
• Collaborate with Design, Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to translate project goals into relevant design solutions
• Work with a team of prototype developers to create in-house appearance models
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Current student of an Industrial Design academic program
• Digital proficiency in the use of tools such as SolidWorks, Keyshot, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Sketchbook Pro
• Excellent hand sketching skills (Wacom Tablet experience preferred)
• Ability to rapidly explore a wide variety of styling options (forms, colors, finishes, materials, etc.)
• A passion for design, technology, and an active lifestyle
• Courage to explore new ideas
• Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work respectfully with others
At Garmin, we like to work hard and have fun doing it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment with no dress code where sharing ideas and collaboration is encouraged. Garmin believes strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Interns receive paid housing and other incredible benefits... an intern package that tops the competition. To learn how you can be a part of our nationally recognized internship program email resume and portfolio.