As an Industrial Designer in the Santa Barbara, California area you will lead design at all phases of development. STEL is seeking a strong creator who can handle multiple ongoing programs and carry them from inception through production. You will get the chance to work in every element of design and to help us shape and impact STEL’s leading movement in design. This will challenge you to bring your experience with form, materials, and manufacturing to the table. You will be asked to own your methodology in design and development, from initial research to packaging, ensuring that products continue to be recognized for quality, performance, and innovation around the globe.
SOFTGOODS is a great skillset to have! (backpacks, accessories, etc.)
• 4+ years experience in sport, eyewear, outdoor, soft-goods, and consumer electronics design.
• Skills in 3D CAD (ideally SolidWorks, Alias) with detailed complex surfacing capabilities.
• Soft goods/cut & sew design, with a knowledge in construction, manufacturing, materials and product development competence.
• Understanding of brand development and researching/analyzing market opportunity.
• Design experience & communication knowledge in the European and Asia market.
• Comfortable interacting with clients and internal staff alike.
• Portfolio must be provided.
Tasks & Duties:
• Lead overall industrial design definition, strategy, and execution in a variety of market categories.
• Develop products through conceptual sketching, prototypes, 2D and 3D computer software.
• Solid, proven understanding of manufacturing and engineering processes involved in consumer electronics development. Extensive insight and knowledge of production methods and materials.
• Establish and manage projects including schedule, resources, deliverables, and reviews.
• Lead multiple project teams of designers and internal and outsourced partners responsible for all stages of industrial design and development for a portfolio of complex products and platforms.
• Attend meetings and maintain a close connection with the management team, and stay on top of quickly evolving business objectives with a flexible mindset.
• Provide guidance and mentoring to less-experienced staff members.
• Drive communication of the product’s design intent to engineering staff and manufacturers.